Feb 28, 2011

River rock boot tray

Happy Monday, all! I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was busy busy and included lots of heavy lifting (helping my sister move). I'm still sore from it...I'm feeling old!

Anyways, a couple weeks ago, Apartment Therapy did a round-up of a simple yet attractive idea: a boot tray filled with river rocks. It's also functional -- water from snowy boots drains between the rocks to the bottom, so your boots don't sit in slush and dry out faster.

Inspired, I picked up a boot tray from Bed, Bath and Beyond for $7.99, then bought two containers of multi-colored river rocks from Target for $5 each. Then, I just dumped the rocks into the tray. Easy as pie!



(Yes, the hubs has two different colored laces on his boots. Classy. And I know my boots look giant-sized, but they are only a 7-1/2!)

It's definitely come in handy this week, as we've gotten even more snow (is it spring yet?? PLEASE??!). Target also sells really pretty copper boot trays that would be great for this project (but I wasn't interested in spending $20+ for the tray).

Here it is in our entryway, looking sharp with our slate tile.


No, we don't actually keep it in front of the door -- I just needed a spot with good light. Here it is where it actually lives -- plus a sneak peek of the other changes we've been working on in the entryway. More on that project next week!


Also, I'm linking up my DIY jewelry holders and paper daisies to The DIY Showoff's Project Parade. Stop by and get inspired to tackle your own DIY project!




3 comments:

Meghan said...

very cute! Now you just need Willum to get some boots that go with your decor! :)

Kelley said...

So cute! I love that idea! I think I may do that also!!

Erin @ Domestic Adventure said...

This came out great! I posted a while back about wanting to do this, but I still haven't gotten around to it!

http://www.domesticadventure.com/2011/01/more-than-mud-room/