Feb 2, 2012

Valentine's Day decor, part one


Woohoo, it's Friday! I'm pumped for this weekend -- got a couple projects I hope to finish up, and I can't wait to watch the Patriots beat the Giants in the Super Bowl...go Pats!

My floating shelves are a faux mantel where I like to feature seasonal or holiday decor, so of course I had to pink it out for Valentine's Day.


I did this while the hubs was occupied with something else, and though I doubt it's really his cup of tea, he was very sweet and said he liked my "pink poufy things."

Me: "It looks pretty girly up there right now, doesn't it?"
Hubs: "Uh, yes, yes it does."

He's so nice to put up with me!

This display started with some inspiration from Martha Stewart Living.


I have a ton of paper flowers I made for our wedding (and never used!) plus some I made for a friend's bridal shower. And like the pack rat I am, I've held onto them, thinking they'd come in handy...I love being right :)

To arrange them in a heart shape, I used the top of a Kohl's shirt box and cut out a cardboard heart, drawing an outline in pen before cutting, and folding it in half to make sure it was symmetrical.


My paper flowers were all held together with floral wire. I poked holes in the cardboard heart with a pen tip and threaded the wire through, holding it in place with a piece of tape.


It's not quite as fluffy as I would have liked, but it's very sweet and romantic, don't you think? I like how it looks with my old, flea-market frame.


The pink paper flowers are hanging from white ribbon just stuck to the ceiling with Scotch tape...fancy, huh?


The vases I bought last year from Target, and the aqua insulator is from the flea market, which I included after seeing Myra at My Blessed Life's lovely Valentine's mantle.


These cutie birds were our wedding cake toppers. Aww!


I've been using these white branches a lot -- in my fall decor:


Christmas decor:


And now Valentine's decor. They're holding these little crocheted hearts I made, which are super easy to make if you're a crocheter! The pattern is here.


Aren't they super adorable?! I made a bazillion for no reason :)


And the whole shebang is finished off with some white feathers I bought at Christmastime to make a cute little feather tree, buuut....that never happened. At least they're getting some use now!


My favorite part of this little display? I bought nothing except the dark pink yarn, which was $1 at the Dollar Tree.

I'll be back next week with some more Valentine's Day decor -- hint, hint, it's changes to my gallery wall!

Linking up!




The Shabby Nest



Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap
up           party!

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



1 comment:

Christina said...

aw SO cute!! I really loooove decorating with branches too :)